Allern computer... need help badly

Events and chat relating to guild specific things. Schedule events, let us know what you dropped in the bank or what new patterns you'd love to craft for us if we find mats.

Moderator:Lamas

kageneko
Antispam:0
Allern computer... need help badly

Post by kageneko » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:39 pm

It's crashing regularly, but not TOO regularly. Sort of... it crashes a lot for about 15 minutes and then stabilizes. It crashes in a variety of different ways:

* Different BSODs (PFN_LIST_CORRUPT, BAD_POOL_HEADER, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, etc.)
* Sometimes just locks up
* Sometimes just reboots

Memtest86+ has passed. Western Digital drive checker has passed. My present theory is that it's a corrupt system file or driver. I'm planning on buying a new hard drive this weekend (I've needed one for a while) and re-installing everything from scratch on it. That'll probably be done on Sunday or something.

Unless anyone else has any ideas.
TEAM CLERIC: Allern, Dranei Paladin; Lothlondor, Night Elf Druid; Lelian, Human Mage; Lesasia, Human Death Knight; Lagervolk, Dwarf Hunter; Sylerissar, Night Elf Rogue; Langston, Worgen Warrior; Leanora, Gnome Priest
WE SPLIT THE PARTY: Renethal, Blood Elf Paladin

lessem

Re: Allern computer... need help badly

Post by lessem » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:33 pm

Those sound bad, and usually are hardware errors in my experience. Based on the last system I saw with those errors, look and see if any of the capacitors on the motherboard are domed or leaking. It could also be power problems. None of those are easy to diagnose, particularly if they are intermittent. It could also be something as simple as a bad driver. They seem to mean windows hit an error but it's not t really clear what it is. You can also try booting to a live linux image and see if that gives any problems. Of course if the live cd doesn't support your hardware then you might get completely unrelated errors.

Doing a fresh install on the new drive sounds like a good idea.

kageneko
Antispam:0

Re: Allern computer... need help badly

Post by kageneko » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:06 am

The internet says hardware or driver problem. The intermittent nature of the problem (and also the fact that is seems to "stabilize" after a while) really annoys me. I'm planning on a brand new desktop in January, so I just need something to last until then. If the complete reinstall fixes things, I'll be even happier.
TEAM CLERIC: Allern, Dranei Paladin; Lothlondor, Night Elf Druid; Lelian, Human Mage; Lesasia, Human Death Knight; Lagervolk, Dwarf Hunter; Sylerissar, Night Elf Rogue; Langston, Worgen Warrior; Leanora, Gnome Priest
WE SPLIT THE PARTY: Renethal, Blood Elf Paladin